Saturday, September 13, 2014

Who am I (HookDude West)??

First off, an explanation of the quirky username ... "hookdude" was just an easy name to remember and "west" just something that popped into my head because whenever I make plans to travel, I always think of going west to Southern California, my favorite destination.   


I'm a native Texan and have lived all of my life in South Texas except for the nine months that I lived in Louisville, Kentucky while attending graduate school at U of L.    After I returned to Texas, I never considered leaving because I'm a person who enjoys the warmer and milder South Texas winters (no snow nor blizzards down here).    I experienced first hand the cold winter weather and snow in Kentucky when I lived there, and I really didn't like walking on slick and icy sidewalks.    Besides, we have just about everything (well, maybe not the ski slopes)here, the mountains in West Texas, the snow up in Abilene, Lubbock and Dallas, the beaches down by South Padre Island and the piney woods in East Texas.

My daily life in South Texas is patterned by two languages, English and Spanish.  Yes, I'm bilingual, and I feel very fortunate to have grown up speaking two languages.      


I have always gravitated towards colors, but unfortunately have never dabbled in artful activities like watercolor or acrylic.   It wasn't until I taught myself how to crochet and to knit that I really began paying attention to color and its nuances.    Of course, I'm still learning, and I still have a long ways to go.


If you've read some of my earlier blog posts, you know that many of my projects go to charity.    That's something that gives me much personal satisfaction, and I will continue to work on these projects as long as my health and my budget allow it.

Thank you again for taking the time to stop and visit.   





The HookDude


No comments:

Post a Comment