Monday, June 2, 2014

Why I Crochet and Knit

Four years ago, I didn't have an inkling of what crochet and knitting meant.   The only thing that I remember is that many years ago, my ex-wife used to weave or tie twine for hanging plants in the patio.    Honestly, I don't know what that was called, but it seems to have been popular in the 70's and 80's.   It could have been something called macramé.    

Anyway, as it so happened, a retired couple who lived down the street from me talked to me about some volunteer work that they were involved in at a local charity.    She crocheted hats and he crocheted scarves for the homeless shelter.
Now, four years later, that couple has moved from the city, and I have learned how to crochet and how to knit.   I find that I equally enjoy both activities, however, I have found that crocheting is more forgiving if you make a mistake. 

About 3 years ago, I began making scarves and hats for local charities as well as overseas organizations.   One positive aspect of this is that I never have to work to meet deadlines.  I make the scarves & hats whenever I have the time, and I never feel pressured.   It also helps me relax and wind down.    It's also my mental therapy.

See what the Craft Yarn Council (CYC) says about it as being therapeutic

It's a hobby that I enjoy tremendously, and the best part of it is that I know that the scarves and hats which I donate will keep persons warm during the cold winter months.   

Thanks for stopping by ... 



The HookDude









   



No comments:

Post a Comment